How You Can Help Save 3 Lives
There are a couple of ways that YOU may help save 3 lives.
Before You Go:
- get a good night's sleep
- eat a well-balanced meal
- drink plenty of water, as hydration is very important
- bring a government issued state I.D. (drivers license, passport, DMV I.D. card, etc.) or your school photo I.D.
- you are at least 16 or 17-years old depending on your state
- you are in general good health
At your donation center or bus:
- Registration - Once you arrive at the blood center or blood drive, staff will check you in and provide an overview of eligibility requirements and information on the blood donation process.
- Donor Health History Questionnaire - Complete the confidential questionnaire that will be provided, answering each question honestly and to the best of your ability.
- Mini-physical Examination - Staff will take your blood pressure, temperature, and hemoglobin levels and possibly your pulse to ensure your safety as a blood donor.
- The actual blood donation process will take about 10 minutes.
- Make sure to relax during this process.
- Once the blood donation is complete, please wait for staff to assist you before attempting to rise from the donor bed or chair.
- Follow staff instructions and proceed to the refreshment area for water and snacks.
- Drink plenty of water to ensure proper hydration and remain in the refreshment area for at least 15 minutes.
- Make sure the next meal you eat is healthy and well balanced.
- Follow the blood center's additional instructions on how to take care of yourself after your donation.
- Do not smoke.
- Now that you're finished, don't forget to schedule your next blood donation and enjoy the satisfaction of helping to save a life!
If you are a healthy adult who is at least 16 or 17 years old (depending on your state), and at least 110 pounds you may donate about a pint of blood. The most common form of donation – every 56 days, or every two months. One pint of blood can save up to 3 lives.
Have a voice
If you are unable to donate blood, you could help spread the word about the 3 Lives blood drives and become an advocate for the cause. We’ve even made it easy. On the box below you can download a Do It Yourself (DIY) kit. The kit includes posters, flyers, letters, and information about education; it contains materials that you would need to help promote the blood drives. Take these out into the community and help spread the word.
Ultimately we would love for everyone to donate blood and help spread the word. We are pleased and appreciate however you can contribute. Remember you may help save 3 lives.